[fedora-virt] "Virtualising" the rest of the Internet before moving the virtual machine to the physical machine?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Jan 16 06:25:31 UTC 2012

People,

I am building an upgraded server by using a new physical hard disk
(/dev/sdb and leaving the current drive [/dev/sda] untouched) and using
qemu-kvm to virtualise the server using the virtual version of the whole
hard disk (/dev/vda).  This allows me to do most of the upgrade from
Fedora 14-64 to Fedora 16-64 in the virtual mode before rebooting on the
new disk and going live with the new server.  This is very convenient
and will save a lot of down time for the server but there are some
limitations.  I host a number of different domains and their web sites
and there are Ruby on Rails upgrade issues to sort out going from F14 o
F16 but in the virtual mode I can't check if the Apache VirtualHosts are
working or not - so I was wondering if there is some way - maybe using a
dodgy virtual DNS setup or something - that will allow the virtual
machine to "see" the rest of the "virtual" Internet so I can test browse
to each of the different domains' web sites and sort out problems
instead of having to do it after taking the new hard disk live.

I am probably not explaining this very well - do people see what I am
getting at?

Thanks,

Phil.
--