[fedora-virt] Bridged Networking - Virtual Environments

Kashyap Chamarthy kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 18 01:35:05 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 06:24 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:57:14 -0400
> Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>
>> Why is it that (on almost any site that I visit with this setup)
>> they always end up assigning an ip address to br0?
>
> I've noticed that too, so I just give my bridges static IPs.
> I've never known if the bridge can get an IP from the DHCP
> server or not, so I've just avoided doing it.

Yes, a bridge -can- get an IP from DHCP. That's what I've been using forever. Here is my
bridge config on one of my virt. hosts
###################################
[root at foobar network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-br0
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
[root at foobar network-scripts]#
###################################
[root at foobar network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-em1
DEVICE=em1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Ethernet
ONBOOT=yes