[fedora-virt] Start guest from cli?

Kashyap Chamarthy kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 23 09:42:09 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 02:49 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> I have one guest shuts down immedialty,
> after run button is pressed in Virt-Manager.
>
> So looking at:
> http://libvirt.org/sources/virshcmdref/html-single/#sect-start
>
> virsh start foo.img
> Should get me going.

#virsh start foo  should do if your guest's name is foo

(Just to be clear, .img is the *disk* file name of your guest, usually located under
/var/lib/libvirt/images/foo.img. )

If it still doesn't start and doesn't give an output, try to run the below on the shell
and re-try the virsh command to see if you get any clues:

export LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1

> do I bother witht he exisitng
> xml config for the guest?

Can you please rephrase this?  (generally, yes, you should care about the xml file. It
defines all the attributes of your guest)

/kashyap