[fedora-virt] mouse stopped working in F16 guests (on F16 host, using VNC/cirrus)

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 23:00:50 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 05:47 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> I had a couple original F16 guests (un-updated) that I had originally
> installed under a F13 host months ago.  I installed a new copy (not
> upgraded) of F16 on the host and imported the guests with their
> original storage.  This all worked fine until I did "yum update" on
> the F16 guests (these guests are used for off-net testing, so they
> were never updated until today--500+ entries in the update
> transaction).  Now the mouse pointers don't show up in the guests in
> virt-manager, and "xev" on the guests shows no mouse activity at all.
>
> I'm using cirrus for the video hardware and VNC for the remote display
> protocol.  I've tried rebooting host & guests with no improvement.
>
> How can I troubleshoot/fix this?

Check for any errors in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log (qemu might be
reporting something)

Try a different VM video card (vga or qxl), adding or removing the usb tablet
pointer, maybe try switching to spice.

Besides that, yum downgrade all the Xorg packages in the guest and see if it
makes any difference.

- Cole