[fedora-virt] SOLVED Re: virsh start --console "some-guest" booting options F17 host

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 19:41:17 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 04:22 PM, "Ján ONDREJ (SAL)" wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 04:44:18PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:

>>> Can I add this using virt-isntall? Can virt-install configure sgabios with
>>> an option?
>>>
>>> Is there any command line tool, which can add/remove/update XML parameters?
>>> Example:
>>>
>>>   tool --add domain.os.bios useserial=yes
>>>
>>> 				SAL
>>
>> There's /usr/bin/xpath but that's for querying only it seems. Would be pretty
>> straightforward to make one for setting arbitrary data.
>
> OK, I wrote one. Please look at this:
>
>   http://www.salstar.sk/pub/salpack/usr/sbin/virsh-pyquery
>
> This script uses pyquery, jquery based selector syntax. If you like jquery
> selectors, then you will like it. It can add/delete/remove/update entities
> or attributes.

Very cool! Something like that should be implemented as a virsh subcommand
(but it would likely use xpath syntax since that's what libvirt uses internally).

>> Though in this case I think finishing off virt-xml is the best way to go, I've
>> just never managed to give it the final push:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2011-April/msg00159.html
>
> Nice too, but limited to only supported options. :(

True, but support also comes with docs, --help discoverability, no need to
know the XML syntax, and future proofing against XML changes. That said there
is definitely a need for both tools.

Thanks,
Cole