[fedora-virt] Xorg input focus problem with virt-manager guest VNC window

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jul 25 15:56:12 UTC 2012

I just did a yum update and reboot on Fedora 16, and since then I've
been having input focus issues (outside of guests).  Whenever I move
the mouse over a virt-manager guest console window (VNC), I can't
right click title bars of windows that are stacked on top of the
virt-manager guest.  Additionally, often the input focus gets stuck
such that even after moving the mouse to other areas of the desktop
and other windows, I can't type into them at all, nor click anything.
Cutting and pasting with the left/middle mouse buttons in
gnome-terminal still seems to work, though.  The text cursor in
gnome-terminal windows blinks very quickly and erratically while stuck
in this state.

When this happens, I have to mouse back into the virt-manager guest
VNC console and back out again, which usually clears the issue.

I realize this might not be caused by virt-manager itself, but I
thought I'd start here in case others have seen this issue, and also
to learn what virt-manager/VNC might be doing differently to the X
server to trigger this issue vs. other X clients.  Many packages were
updated, including:

NVIDIA binary driver (unfortunately required to use the 4 displayport
outputs on the nVidia Quadro NVS 420 card I have)

1:akmod-nvidia-295.59-1.fc16.x86_64
1:kmod-nvidia-295.59-1.fc16.4.x86_64
1:kmod-nvidia-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64-295.40-2.fc16.x86_64
1:kmod-nvidia-3.4.5-1.fc16.x86_64-295.59-1.fc16.4.x86_64
1:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-295.59-1.fc16.x86_64
1:xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-295.59-1.fc16.x86_64

Kernel:

kernel-3.4.5-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.4.5-1.fc16.x86_64
kernel-headers-3.4.5-1.fc16.x86_64

Virt-related:

libvirt-0.9.6.1-1.fc16.x86_64
libvirt-client-0.9.6.1-1.fc16.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.9.6.1-1.fc16.x86_64
python-virtinst-0.600.2-1.fc16.noarch
virt-manager-0.9.3-1.fc16.noarch
virt-manager-common-0.9.3-1.fc16.noarch

I'm also using Gnome 3 in fallback mode.

Thanks.