[fedora-virt] Support for modems and other such physical hardware?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 16:38:25 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 10:02 AM, Greg Scott wrote:
> Hi have a situation with a Windows 2003 server that uses a fax modem.
> I'd love to P2V this server but I need support for a Brooktrout
> faxmodem.  The idea is, just pass anything to/from this hardware
> directly to the Windows guest VM, so the guest VM "thinks" it's
> connected to the faxmodem.  I haven't run across anything that says I
> can do that with KVM virtual machines.  Any ideas?

With new enough hardware, or if you don't mind the security risks with
older hardware where iommu was incomplete and could allow a malicious
guest to take over the host, it is indeed possible with KVM to pass
through raw PCI or USB host devices so that the host no longer touches
the device, and the guest manipulates the device directly.

Are you using virsh, virt-manager, or some other means to manipulate
your guest definition?  Depending on that answer determines how you
would add a host-device passthrough to your guest.