[fedora-virt] guestfish change since f16?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 16:22:40 UTC 2012

I have this silly script I use to make a copy of a Windows XP
virtual machine, changing the machine name and default
wallpaper.

I've just tried to use it for the first time in fedora 17
and the part that updates the cached wallpaper image with
the .bmp file XP wants seems to not work.

I don't see any errors when I run it, but the background
comes up solid blue. If I right click and look at desktop
properties, it does claim to have the correct default
background set, and if I re-set it, it does display
correctly.

Here's the relevant bit of code in my script:

# But wait! There's more, we not only need to fix the registry, but also
# update the cached bitmap image of the jpg file.

guestfish --ro -i -a $name.img download 'WIN:C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\'"$wallpaper"'.jpg' $tmpdir/wall.jpg
bmp="$tmpdir/Wallpaper1.bmp"
convert $tmpdir/wall.jpg $bmp
guestfish -i -a $name.img upload $bmp 'WIN:C:\Documents and Settings\'"$user"'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp'

Does this look like it ought to work? (Or maybe ImageMagick is
busted and isn't making a .bmp that XP likes?).