[fedora-virt] sudo virt-install VNC: Unable to read from monitor

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Fri Mar 30 10:42:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 16 and would like to install a KVM VM.

On my preious Ubuntu system I used to install such a VM with:
$ sudo  virt-install [...] --vnc [...]

(I'm a sudo fan, not guru)

On my F16, running the same command gives me:
   Starting install...
   ERROR    Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer
   Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
This, IMHO, is due to the --vnc option trying to open a X11 window.

But, if I "sudo -s" then run the same command, the installation goes on,
with the X11 VNC window appearing.

My system is a F16 XFCE spin, where I disabled SELinux.

Would you know how to launch "sudo virt-install [..] --vnc [...]" as a
bare user (without escalading with "sudo -s")?

On the other hand, "sudo virsh [...] list --all" (which doesn't need VNC
X11) works very well.

Thank you.

--
RMA.