[fedora-virt] close VM display => qemu-kvm goes to 100%

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 23:24:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:10:13 +0100
Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Is this 100% just in virt-manager, or is the qemu-kvm process in (eg)
> top consuming lots of CPU too?

I didn't notice what virt-manager was reporting about the VM,
I just saw the qemu-kvm process go to 100% (actually it sometimes
hit 102% in top) on the KVM host machine.

That 5 to 10% number was also what the host was reporting
about the qemu-kvm process before I closed the window.

I've since turned off the graphical mode in the VM and set it
to just multi-user target, and I don't see this happen
when I'm just looking at the text login screen in the
VM window, so I either have to be running X, or maybe I
have to be running X before applying any Fedora 17
updates (the initial observation was with a virtual machne
installed from the Fedora 17 64 bit DVD iso).