[fedora-virt] No networking?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:40:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:06:12 -0400
Cole Robinson wrote:

> If you hover over the warning icon it should have a tooltip that might provide
> more info.

I'll have to try that when I get home.

> This definitely is not a new 'feature' so something must be going wrong. Are
> you using virt-preview? What's the output of sudo virsh iface-list --all and
> sudo virsh net-list --all?

[root at zooty ~]# virsh iface-list --all
Name                 State      MAC Address
bifrost              active     14:da:e9:72:9e:22
br0                  active     14:da:e9:72:9e:22
lo                   active     00:00:00:00:00:00
p6p1                 active     14:da:e9:72:9e:22

[root at zooty ~]# virsh net-list --all
Name                 State      Autostart

[root at zooty ~]#

I delete the default network definition that comes when
virtualization is installed because I always want to
use bridged networking, and don't want dnsmasq and wot-not
cluttering up my system. I never previously needed to
define any network, virt-manager always offered the
bridge interfaces.

The bifrost and br0 interfaces are the bridges I have existing
virtual machines on, and I was indeed able to edit the xml after
the initial VM install and create the interface connected to br0
that I wanted, so I have networking now in the new KVM.

I do have a rather complex network setup, you can find a
full description here if you are interested:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/game/isolate.html

The host machine is running stock f17, no virt-preview repo
(it does have all the f17 updates applied).