[fedora-virt] Nested KVM help

Kashyap Chamarthy kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 20 10:11:27 UTC 2013

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:16:18AM +0530, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
>> Hm, I've been running some tests on latest Intel Hardware (Haswell), and I have both L1,
>> and L2 running consistently fine with rawhide kernels.
>
> Big difference between Haswell and Nehalem (which is, what, 5+ years old?)

:-) That's true.

> Nested VMX is hard enough as it is.  I would suggest to the reporter
> using Sandybridge or later ... or AMD :-)

Right, AMD has been the easiest to get it working. But I don't see many further
patches/improvements for it upstream.

However, a lot of Intel patches are posted upstream (I'm sure you must be watching), where
Paolo also reported nEPT is working decently well for him. I'm trying to test it by
building kvm/queue (it's not yet in mainline KVM), but hitting some problems. Let's see if
I can make any progress there.

/kashyap