[fedora-virt] device='disk' and DISCARD

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 21:00:41 UTC 2013

I just noticed the new "Virtio SCSI disk" and "Virtio SCSI lun" storage
types in virt-manager (and their libvirt XML device=... equivalents).

Reading up on them, I see that "generic" SCSI commands are only accepted
when device='lun', but this only works when the source is an "actual raw
device" -- not an LVM LV or partition.

Does this mean that DISCARD commands are rejected when device='disk'?

I've been using SSD-backed LVs as virtio-scsi disks, with the idea that
this would cause DISCARD commands to be passed through from the guests.
It would be a real bummer if there were no way to do this.

Thanks!