[fedora-virt] Current Status of LVM Snapshots & Libvirt

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 14:30:11 UTC 2013

Hi,

What's the current status of LVM snapshots?  Can you
create/revert/commit them with virsh? Or is this an out of band
operation (I have to manually use lvcreate etc...)?

I've never used LVM-based images mainly because you couldn't overcommit
the storage subsystem but now, with the new thin-provisioning
capabilities of LVM, I'm willing to give it a try.  That is, of course,
*only* If I can still have all the nice snapshot capabilities I
currently have with qcow2-based images :)

Thanks,
Jorge

p.d I know you can create qcow2 overlays out of an LVM.  My question
really is whether libvirt can use/manipulate native LVM snapshots these
days.