[fedora-virt] virtio-scsi with libvirt

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:16:28 UTC 2013

On 01/05/2013 02:30 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Note that I didn't have to specify the alias for the controller, I just
> added "<controller type='scsi' model='virtio-scsi' index='0'/>", and
> libvirt did the rest.  I haven't tested yet, but it looks like it will
> be possible to use virt-manager to add SCSI disks once the controller
> has been added.
>
> Now to see if my virtual RHEV hypervisors can use these as "Fibre
> Channel" storage.

For anyone living vicariously through my virtualized RHEV experiment:

1.  Get a life!

2.  The answers are YES and YES.  Once the virtio-scsi controller has
    been added to a guest by editing the XML, SCSI disks can be added
    through the virt-manager GUI.  And RHEV is perfectly happy to use a
    shared virtio-scsi disk as "Fibre Channel" storage.

It seems that there's no documentation on adding virtio-scsi *disks* out
there, because adding the controller is the only tricky part (for a very
small value of tricky).