[fedora-virt] What the heck are the guestfs-yaddayadda... virtual machines?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Jan 27 22:29:13 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 04:44 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> If I run virt-manager on fedora 18, I see random
> instances of virtual machines named guestfs-something
> pop up for a second, then go away.
>
> Where the heck do they come from and why is it
> happening?

If python-libguestfs is installed, virt-manager will use it in the background
to determine guest OS and a few other interesting bits of info. Recently
libguestfs grew the ability to do its magic using libvirt rather than a
manually launched qemu instance. What you are probably seeing is those
transient libguestfs appliances popping in and out of existence.

However I didn't think libguestfs was using libvirt by default on F18, and I
didn't think it was connecting qemu:///system, so I'm not entirely sure what's
happening. Are you using qemu:///session with virt-manager, or just the
default libvirt connection?

Rich, any thoughts?

- Cole