[fedora-virt] What the heck are the guestfs-yaddayadda... virtual machines?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jan 27 23:35:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 06:01:13PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:29:13 -0500
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>
> > Are you using qemu:///session with virt-manager, or just the
> > default libvirt connection?
>
> I'm using whatever it uses by default. If I do a "Connection
> details" under Edit it says qemu:///system.
>
> I don't know what libguestfs needs to look at either.
> I'm not running any VMs at all right now, yet every
> so often the guestfs-* machines pop up.

It looks at each guest (at most once) in order to determine what OS it
contains, which should result in a nice little OS icon next to each
guest plus some extra information in various dialogs.  See:

  http://rwmj.wordpress.com/tag/virt-manager/

You can disable this by uninstalling python-libguestfs.

Rich.