[fedora-virt] No iommu_group links in /sys/bus/pci/devices/

Mario Ceresa mrceresa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 14:35:53 UTC 2013

Thanks Alex, now the driver is working fine.

I spent the last two days making tests and the results are as folows:

1. from qemu command line I never get past the "This VM has no graphic
card" messages even if I change the number of the pci id to the one I bound
to vfio-pci (05:00). I'm still trying to learn how to control quemu by
command line so most likely I'm using the wrong spell here :)

qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -M q35 -m 1024 -cpu host \
-smp 6,sockets=1,cores=6,threads=1 \
-bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin -vga none \
-device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1
\
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1

2. With virt-manager I'm able to go a bit further once I add the two ids as
PCI passthrough devices:

2.1 I can run a copy of Fedora 18 that loads the open source radeon driver.
It doesn't seem to be really accelerated though but I suppose it's working
because when I reset/poweroff the host resets :)
However I have the following errors in the log:

* Expecting atombios for cayman GPU
* Fatal error during GPU init
* probe of <pci id here> failed with -22

2.2 I'm not able to use radeon binary drivers from rpmfusion on this VM. X
always dies with "No recognized devices"

2.3 I created a new winxp test machine and installed radeon binary drivers
on it but the card is not detected. It does appear as "Unrecognized VGA
adapter" so it seems that it is exposed, at least partially.

I'm a bit out of my wits by now, is there any way to see how virt-manager
calls qemu?

Do I have to remove nvidia binary driver or patch them? (the primary gpu is
a quadro 4000)

Thanks and regards,

Mario