[fedora-virt] Fedora virt status May 2013

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri May 31 18:55:32 UTC 2013

Hey all, here are some notes on Fedora virt happenings for May.

  Fedora 19
  =========

Fedora 19 beta was released right on time this past Tuesday. If you haven't
updated yet, now's a good time!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F19_Beta_release_announcement

Here's the schedule going forward:

- Jun 18:   Final change deadline
- Jul 02:   GA release

So by this time next month F19 should be wrapped and waiting to be shipped :)

  Fedora virt test days
  =====================

Also on Tuesday we ran the F19 virt test day, and just yesterday was a Spice
specific test day. If you missed the dates but still want to help out, give
the test cases a spin and reports your results as instructed on landing page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2013-05-28_Virtualization
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2013-05-30_Spice

All in all they were pretty successful: I counted 19 related bugs filed by the
end of Tuesday, and quite a few more from the Spice test day. And thankfully
nothing too major was found :)

  QEMU 1.5
  ========

On Monday May 20th, QEMU 1.5 was released! Highlights from the changelog:

* KVM for ARM support
* A native GTK+ UI with internationalization support
* Experimental VFIO support for VGA passthrough
* Support for VMware PVSCSI and VMXNET3 device emulation
* CPU hot-add support

See the full human-readable changelog at:

http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/1.5

QEMU 1.5 is currently available in rawhide and virt-preview repo for F18 and
F19. For the time being we are sticking with QEMU 1.4 in Fedora 19 though.

  Libvirt 1.0.5
  =============

On Thursday May 2nd, Libvirt 1.0.5 was released! Highlights from the changelog:

* add support for NVRAM device
* Add XML config for resource partitions
* Add support for TPM
* NPIV storage migration support

This is the version we will be sticking with for F19.

  Libguestfs 1.22
  ===============

And yet another major release this month: libguestfs 1.22 came out on May
24th. The big changes:

* access remote disk images over nbd, ssh, http, ftp, iscsi, ceph, and more
* syslinux and extlinux bootloader support
* full support for btrfs guests
* large performance improvements in virt-df and virt-alignment-scan tools
* new bash completions for tools

Check out the full release notes here:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-release-notes.1.html

  Bug stats
  =========

Bug count on Apr 29 2013 : 260
Total bugs today         : 307

Quite a large jump this month, not unexpected given the test days and F19 beta
freeze holding up some ON_QA bugs from hitting stable. But we are also do for
some house cleaning.

By release:
    * Fedora 17          : 75
    * Fedora 18          : 128