[fedora-virt] Internal Snapshots & Used-Space

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 11:26:31 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 04:04 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> I'm not even sure what the correct result would be. Internal snapshots
> are independent from each other (i.e. there is no parent-child
> relationship between them), so for which snapshot would a shared cluster
> be accounted?

Hi Kevin,

I thought they worked like external snapshots (where one file depends on
its backing file)...but that, for internal snapshots, all the mechanics
happened within that single image.

Now that you mention that, I remembered doing some tests where I deleted
a snapshot (that was the parent of another one conceptually-wise) and
found out the child still worked afterwards.

Now I'm wondering what really happens when you take the internal
snapshot contrary to an external one.  Are internal snaphots less
efficient storage-wise?

Thanks.

--
Jorge