[fedora-virt] Eye Candy for Virt-Manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 12:41:29 UTC 2014

On 04/27/2014 09:44 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 04/26/2014 08:25 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> It's been available for a while, but you need to install python-guestfs to
>> make it work, and the user you run virt-manager as needs read access to the VM
>> disk images.
>
> Hi Cole,
>
> The only package close to that is python-libguestfs.

That's the correct package name, sorry for the confusion.

 I installed it,
> restarted libvirt, fired up some VMs (after changing permissions) but
> didn't see any icons.  Is the image recognition done upon libvirt
> startup or upon VM startup?  I'll have to recheck permissions because
> they get overwritten eventually (leaving my regular user without
> access)...don't know if that's the problem.

Inspection is done at virt-manager startup time. If it doesn't appear to work,
run virt-manager --debug and check for error output.

> Just curious:  Isn't it more easier to create the icons based on the OS
> type (as specified by --os-type) instead of inspecting the actual images
> & having to install all these extra packages?

Yes that would be easier, but it hits the trademark issues mentioned in the
feature page you referenced in the first mail, since we would need to ship
windows icons etc. Pulling the icons out of the VMs was deemed legally
acceptable though.

For linux distros we can probably ship freely distributable icons, maybe
libosinfo could grow support for that in the future.

- Cole