[fedora-virt] Ubuntu KVM goes 100% cpu?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 14:14:09 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 06:17 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:54:40 -0700
> Scott Baker wrote:
>
>> Ya I was going to recommend trying VNC instead of Spice. That's an easy
>> switch.
>
> I did try VNC, and the 100% cpu stuff never happened, but VNC has
> separate problems, possibly whenever anything tries to do something
> with transparency. Buttons and things render unreadable.
>
> When I shut the VM down, switched to spice/qxl again, then rebooted,
> everything rendered nicely up to the point where it once again went
> into the 100% cpu state. I don't know if this is the qxl driver that
> ships with ubuntu or what.

Ubuntu actually sets the video default in virt-manager as vmvga for ubuntu
installs, I don't know if they care about qxl so their package might be out of
date or missing important patches. So my guess is that qxl is more likely the
problem than spice. Unfortunately spice has also had issues over the years
working with non-qxl video cards, but no idea if that's the case here.

- Cole