[fedora-virt] About spicec deprecation

Eric Viseur eric.viseur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:49:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

During F18 lifecycle, the spice-client (spicec) package got deprecated in
favor of virt-viewer.

I'm currently working on a project where one of the goals is to make the
virtualization part as invisible as possible : you boot the computer, get
served a splash screen with some processing going behind the scenes, and
reach a Windows virtual machine made as transparent as possible.

As GPU passthrough isn't always possible, Spice is a must for this.  Spicec
had the enormous advantage of being fully hidable : if you start it through
a simple xinit, you get no toolbar, no possibility to leave full screen.
It makes the illusion very realistic and, more importantly, forbids the
user from leaving the environment without shutting the VM down (which is
handled, of course).

Currently I'm manually overriding package dependencies to install it (I
follow Fedora releases to get the latest virt packages), but I'm concerned
actual dependancies will one day come to disappear, and I might not be able
to take advantage of new SPICE features.

Is there any way I can reproduce this behavior with a still supported
applications ?

Best regards,

Eric Viseur
Etudiant Ingénieur Civil Electricien