[fedora-virt] About spicec deprecation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 13:56:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 01:49:43PM +0100, Eric Viseur wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During F18 lifecycle, the spice-client (spicec) package got deprecated in
> favor of virt-viewer.

NB, technically 'spicec' was replaced by the 'remote-viewer' program which
is distributed as part of the 'virt-viewer' package.

> I'm currently working on a project where one of the goals is to make the
> virtualization part as invisible as possible : you boot the computer, get
> served a splash screen with some processing going behind the scenes, and
> reach a Windows virtual machine made as transparent as possible.
>
> As GPU passthrough isn't always possible, Spice is a must for this.  Spicec
> had the enormous advantage of being fully hidable : if you start it through
> a simple xinit, you get no toolbar, no possibility to leave full screen.
> It makes the illusion very realistic and, more importantly, forbids the
> user from leaving the environment without shutting the VM down (which is
> handled, of course).
>
> Currently I'm manually overriding package dependencies to install it (I
> follow Fedora releases to get the latest virt packages), but I'm concerned
> actual dependancies will one day come to disappear, and I might not be able
> to take advantage of new SPICE features.
>
> Is there any way I can reproduce this behavior with a still supported
> applications ?

What's stopping you from installing it without overriding dependencies ?
The kind of setup you describe should already be possible with a standard
Fedora install.

Regards,
Daniel