[fedora-virt] qcow2, raw, COW

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 15:09:27 UTC 2014

I am not sure if this is the correct mailing list so if it is not, point
me to the correct one.

I am a fan of the BTRFS filesystem and even use a subvolume for
/var/lib/libvirt/images.  Now, if you don't do anything, the disk image
files are going to be hugely fragmented and get even more fragmented
over time since BTRFS is a copy-on-write filesystem.  I thought I knew
how this stuff worked but apparently I do not because it does not
currently work for me on Fedora 20 with current updates (not the preview
although I will likely install that "real soon now").

1.  To disable C-O-W I did "chattr +C /var/lib/libvirt/images" but new
files are showing large fragmentation.

2. I want the default disk image format to be raw rather than qcow2.  On
one of my systems, new disk images default to raw.  On another system,
new disk images default to qcow2.  Both are Fedora 20 and I did nothing
to either.

3.  I tried: "sudo virsh pool-edit default" and adding "<format
type=raw'/>" to the definition for <target>.  The command executed with
no errors when I did ":wq" but the definition was *not* changed.

Are these bugs I need to report or is there something I need to do.

Gene