[fedora-virt] Installing Windows 7 in a KVM?

James Harrison jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 12:28:54 UTC 2014

Hi,
Any idea when the virtio drivers are going 1.x (question to all)?

Ive used the same Windows 7 VM on my laptop since F17. I'm now running F20 with the same VM. (I like it as a VM. Need control over the beast). Its been very reliable and isn't as difficult to use/setup/support (as a VM) as you might think.

Setting up the VIRTIO disk was a bit tricky. You have to perform the Windows OS install with native windows drivers, then install the windows VIRTIO drivers, then shutdown and change your VM configuration to use VIRTIO. Restart the Windows VM. Windows will detect your the hardware and have a driver already installed.

I use an LVM partition as the main disk.Not a file. I use RAW format. and no disk caching. You just have to be careful not to delete it if you install a new Fedora. I use a dd operation on the partition to back it up to a file in a different place. Ive written a backup script that diplays a fancy textual gauge.

James

On Thursday, 6 March 2014, 6:16, Amit Shah <amit.shah at redhat.com> wrote:

On (Wed) 05 Mar 2014 [16:01:38], Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 03/05/2014 03:15 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> > Which reminds me of another irritant in virt-manager:
> >
> > It calls the default setting "Default", which means you
> > have no idea what the default actually is :-).
>
> The
 default is encoded at the qemu level, and libvirt doesn't expose that to
> API users.

Call it the 'hypervisor default', then?  Less confusing..

        Amit