[fedora-virt] Scanner & USB Passthrough

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:53:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

I plan to buy the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 document scanner (that only
works with Win/Mac/IOS/Android) and plan to use it along with my Windows
XP VM.  I've never used "USB passthrough" before and wondered if there
might be any show-stopper along the way? Has anyone used a scanner in
this manner before?

I just did a test :

- plugged my iPod via USB
- Fedora 20 automatically mounted it...
- I manually unmounted it...
- modified my VM with virt-manager (Add New Hardward) to add the usb
device (iPOD in this case)
- started the VM and installed iTunes
- iTunes found the iPod and I could see all my tracks.

So far, it seems to work perfectly fine.  Howerver, the iPOD in the end
it's just a "USB mass storage device" (the scanner isn't).

I'll appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Jorge