[fedora-virt] Installing Windows 7 in a KVM?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 01:31:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:24:43 -0500
Tom Horsley wrote:

> Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll see how it goes
> when my copy of win7 arrives.

Well, I can report success. I provided both the win7
install iso image and the virtio iso image as 2 virtual
CD drives, and was able to add the virtio drivers at
the start of the install and have it run very quickly
and get pretty amazing disk I/O performance considering
that I'm using qcow2.

Inside the machine I downloaded and installed the
spice-guest-tools from spice-space.org and got
the qxl video driver, so the video is pretty
snappy as well.

Then I spent the next several hours installing updates
which then needed more updates, etc. I forget how many
iterations of that I did :-).

Everything seems to be working. Thanks for the pointers.