[fedora-virt] Prevent virt-manager from chowning ISOs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 13:50:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 09:42:44AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 09/30/2014 09:38 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 03:56:12PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> >> - Networking: historically the only real networking mode available with
> >> qemu:///session is usermode networking, which has limited functionality
> >> compared to what some users will expect by default. See
> >> http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
> >
> > Sorry, just catching up on this list.
> >
> > "historically" .. meaning there is something better than SLIRP
> > available for non-root users now?
> >

> You can use the setuid qemu-bridge-helper to let a non-root qemu use
> virbr0 provided by the default network. That's what boxes does
> now. But you have to hope that virbr0 is set up correctly, since
> non-root libvirtd can't manage it.

OK .. be nice to get this working some time with libguestfs, for those
libguestfs applications that use the (not-enabled-by-default) network
support.  eg. virt-builder, virt-customize, virt-rescue --network.

Especially having 'ping' work would be a major breakthrough :-)

When you say "virbr0 is set up correctly" does that mean virbr0 is set
up using the 192.168.122 network, or just that virbr0 exists and is
working in some respect?  Most of my machines have virbr0 bridged to
the physical ethernet device.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v