CMS Decision

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Dec 3 03:14:07 UTC 2005

We really need to move forward on selecting a CMS.

It is highly unlikely that we'll see a PHP solution selected.  I've
heard many calls for Drupal, but let's not count on it.  In particular,
if a PHP solution is chosen, we'll have to be very, very careful in
picking it out, and we'll probably need to disable any more dangerous
functionality.  In the case of Drupal and many others, that would
include XML-RPC.

There aren't many Python solutions out there, but we need to scour what
is available very carefully.  Many people were or would have been
doubtful of what we could accomplish with MoinMoin, and look at all
we've managed to do.  The Fedora Project wiki is at the top of the list
of MoinMoin's list of example wikis[1].  We can accept that there may
need to be work done on whatever solution we select to get it where we
want it.  We've got a large pool of talent that will be wiling to help
with that.

I've added this to the Schedule[2], and placed an arbitrary target date
of 2006-01-13 on this item.  Let's see if we can get it done any sooner.

I know the guys working on the Fedora Unity project[3] have been working
on a similar problem, and Thomas Chung of FedoraNEWS.ORG has been in the
market recently.  I'd love to hear what they've learned.  Anyone else
with recent experience or examples of good CMS implementations can chime
in.  Some demos are available at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ for
people to check out.  Happy hunting!

[1] http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinWikis
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Schedule