CMS Decision

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 04:00:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 21:14 -0600, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> We really need to move forward on selecting a CMS.

Or deciding to just use Moin Moin like a CMS and add features, whichever
is the better solution.

I understand Seth's questioning of what a CMS provides us.  It's one
thing to want a big feature set, it's another thing to actually use it.

_If_ we can get an immediate commitment to utilize Fedora resources to
extend our current tools (Moin Moin, XML, XSLT, CSS, CVS), that might be
faster than coming up to speed on a Python-based CMS ... that probably
needs further extension to make it work for us.

It's a self-tail-biting solution, we keep coming up on ourselves from
the rear.  If we have enough investment in our current tools, can we
move forward with them faster than with a new tool?

> It is highly unlikely that we'll see a PHP solution selected.  I've
> heard many calls for Drupal, but let's not count on it.  In particular,
> if a PHP solution is chosen, we'll have to be very, very careful in
> picking it out, and we'll probably need to disable any more dangerous
> functionality.  In the case of Drupal and many others, that would
> include XML-RPC.

The PHP route has far more obstacles, and it doesn't sound as if anyone
is doing anything to resolve them.  Or has someone packaged Drupal for
FE?

Regardless, as long as Duke.edu is providing a platform for fp.o, we are
beholden to the will o' Seth on this matter.  Can we just make the
decision "No PHP," swallow the bitterness, and move on?

> There aren't many Python solutions out there, but we need to scour what
> is available very carefully.  Many people were or would have been
> doubtful of what we could accomplish with MoinMoin, and look at all
> we've managed to do.  The Fedora Project wiki is at the top of the list
> of MoinMoin's list of example wikis[1].  We can accept that there may
> need to be work done on whatever solution we select to get it where we
> want it.  We've got a large pool of talent that will be wiling to help
> with that.

Can we enable that talent to get busy?

Is our Moin Moin source in CVS somewhere?  Can we start hacking on it,
or offering patches?

OK, friends, I can support NIH, as long as we are empowered to staff the
project.

If we are going to say, "Python only," let's recruit some Python help to
extend Moin Moin exactly where we need it to go.  Recruit, like,
yesterday.

> Some demos are available at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

That site is specifically for listing PHP and MySQL-based solutions.

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject