CMS Decision

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 20:44:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> > 	. Turbogears and Django. Two Python web "frameworks" that make it
> > 	easier to write web apps, but don't offer an actual CMS
> > 	themselves.
>
> djangoproject.com already has doc and article submission code up on the
> site. I even posted about that. The code is available and it wouldn't
> take that much work to use it.

This sounds a bit unrealistic. It would take a lot of work to go from a
code snippet that's out there to a fully polished CMS...

> I'm glad to hear that no one is even reading my emails anymore.

I have a special e-mail filter just for you, dude. (It goes into my
'community people' folder, not to /dev/null :) But there is so much to
remember, all I can do is apologize.

> > I do not consider wikis a viable starting point. They don't seem conducive
> > to keeping the site organized. Maybe there is one out there that has the
> > features necessary to do this, but I haven't seen those features in
> > Moinmoin. :)
>
> What kind of organization do you desire? How are you hoping to have
> things arranged.

> This is the first time I've heard this complaint against the wiki so I'm
> curious now how you are defining organized.

Wikis don't have a way to build a hierarchy of pages, move branches
around, etc. I realize that MoinMoin does have categories, but I don't
know that they're hierarchical, and AFAIK there's no way to turn them into
a nice little sidebar with an expandable tree. These basic navigation
things may sound stupid, but they're important to web site usability.

drupal's taxonomies are All That(tm when it comes to keeping pages
categorized and organized. Then using a drupal module, you can add a block
on the sidebar that displays your current location in the hierarchy of
that taxonomy, and your potential navigation destinations.

Best,
-- Elliot
Unanswered questions in The Matrix: What happens if you take both the red
pill AND the blue pill?