CMS Decision

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 21:07:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> > 	. What we've got already. The basic idea is perfectly sound, and
> > 	everyone knows how to use CVS. This is the baseline that the new
> > 	solution needs to improve on, so one good question is "what do we
> > 	need that we don't have now?"
>
> This is the heart of the conversation.  There's lots of "cool" stuff in
> Drupal, but what do we *need*, really?  Here's my wish list:
>
> 1. Calendars.  We can do this with standalone ics files.
>
> 2. Translatability.  We should be able to break content out into easy
> translation strings.
>
> 3. Form processing.  Straight CGI, eh?
>
> What else do we *really* need for the static / "authoritative" site?

I would like:
	. Dynamic content on the authoritative site. For example,
	having upcoming events posted on the home page, and automatically
	removed after they have occurred. Another area where automation
	could save time is allowing us to have the entire web site
	automatically reflect the availability of a new FC release -
	currently there are half a dozen pages that we have to update at
	release time. The navigation sidebar could also be produced
	automatically. In other words, stuff to save us time.

	. On-the-web page editing - makes it easier to make changes, and
	allows more people to contribute.

	. Workflow & versioning - allow more people to contribute.

Best,
-- Elliot
Unanswered questions in The Matrix: What happens if you take both the red
pill AND the blue pill?