Wiki ACL's

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Dec 19 17:06:26 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been thinking about this but it doesnt make much sense to me to
> have ACL's over all wiki content in Fedora. Wiki has a large edit
> group now that they might still make accidental changes which we need
> to monitor. I am not sure spam is enough of a problem to warrant this.
> what we can do is have a very limited acl for all the sensitive pages
> and a free run on the rest to encourage more active participation.
> There are a few people who monitor all changes to the wiki and I can
> do my share too.
>
> Comments?
>
> regards
> Rahul

I don't see a need to reduce the access limitations.  The system we have
now works well, and requiring registration give us a point of contact
for every wiki contributor.  They must be able to contact us, and us
contact them, before they are able to make changes and contribute.  I
think this is extremely valuable.  The fact that they have to make human
contact also ensures that no bots can register and muck things up.
Since there is nothing wrong with the current system, I also don't see
why we would want to open up significant portions of the site to
defacement.  It wouldn't take much for the site to be horribly mangled
by a bot if it is so open.  The method we have now is quite open,
someone only needs to make contact before they are allowed to make
changes.  If anything, I would suggest we further tighten restrictions
on key pages.  There are certain sections of the site I could agree to
opening up further, but I would still want to require registration.
This was our idea with the drafts section for the FDP.  It's standard
security practice: you start with no access and allow only what is needed.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/