Wiki ACL's

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 19:50:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 12:36 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>       * Lastly, is there a problem in the first place? Or are we just
>         idly mulling over potential benefits of an all-open system vs.
>         selective system? Is the current solution not working?

The only problem, I think, is that people don't know they are not
allowed to edit until they try, then they can't figure out what is going
wrong.

I just had a user to whom it was not obvious what to do to get edit
access.  This was because the page he read said, "To be on the
Ambassadors page, edit it and add yourself."  The content didn't tell
him how to gain edit access, or even that it was needed.

It's hard, because there are myriad locations that tell people to edit
the page, and it's a darn hassle to make each of those locations tell
people _how_ to get edit access.

Ideas:

1. wiki/HowToGetEditAccess is created and #included in any number of
locations; using it becomes a process that people have to remember.

2. When a person is not logged in _or_ has an account without EditGroup
privileges, one of these things occur:
  - Their WUI is different and has big red letters "WIKI IS READ-ONLY,
to gain edit permissions ..."
  - When they get a perm denial, they are explicitly directed to
HowToGetEditAccess

FWIW, I don't think we should open up the whole Wiki.  We are doing our
job to be open, and some minimal hurdles are not unreasonable.

Also FWIW, Docs/Beats has -no- ACLs to encourage content additions.
AFAICT, no one has taken advantage of that in the four months it has
been implemented (which more than covers Rahul's three month request).

Docs/ and Docs/Drafts require DocWritersGroup to write and
DocEditorsGroup to edit/change.

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject