[Fwd: Re: Fedora community (Was: Revised Fedora Core website - Where are the links?)]

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Dec 24 04:31:06 UTC 2005

Websites Team,

There's been a thread going on in fedora-list regarding our transition
to fedoraproject.org.  It brings up an excellent point.  Except among
ourselves, we have done a poor job of advertising what we are doing to
the rest of the community.  Although more and more resources are
becoming available on fedoraproject.org, and more links are pointing to
it, we haven't done much to tell people that we are now focusing on
fedoraproject.org.  With our recent revamp of fedora.redhat.com, we
removed a great deal of content and left little more than a basic set of
pages in place, but we didn't directly tell users where the information
had gone.  Many of the links there do now point to fedoraproject.org,
but there's no explicit declaration of what is happening.  I'd love to
hear suggestions about how we can best remedy this oversight.

I also know that a lot of people have asked why we don't have more
content on the front page of fedora.redhat.com.  I've been trying to
find a reasonable way to publish news there that is synchronized with
the news from fedoraproject.org.  Beyond that, I'd love to hear
suggestions for other valuable content that could go on the front page.
Karsten, Greg and I haven't really heard a whole lot of feedback on the
new fedora.redhat.com, so if each of you would take a few minutes to
browse the site and return to the list with your insight, that would be
great.

Even if we are going to finish moving content away from
fedora.redhat.com, we need to come up with key content to remain there,
and the main content will likely be moved to fedoraproject.org (which we
will need to advertise better).  Whatever CMS (or non-CMS) solution we
choose, we need to maintain our static content, and we need to tell our
userbase what we are doing.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com