Omniture & Fedora

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at cbccgroup.com
Fri Feb 29 16:38:15 UTC 2008

Jesse Eversole Jr wrote:
> Sure,
>
> Omniture uses what I call a "client side" tracking technique using
> javascript to dynamically markup an image tag with a query string and
> fetch that image from Omniture's servers sending data to them via the
> query string.  Google and Yahoo offer similar services with less
> sophisticated features, but the approach is effectively the same.  The
> data is stored on Omniture's servers and available for reporting in near
> real time especially when it comes to basic traffic data.  It is
> probably important to note that Omniture and awstats are not mutually
> exclusive.  One is server based and the other runs on the webpage
> sending data to a hosted platform.
>
> I would have to dig into details to completely expose what our license
> agreement with Omniture is as is applies to the usage of their software
> since is a service that we buy from them.  Omniture is more akin to
> Salesforce.com and Google Analytics.
> To get started with the base functionality of Omniture you drop in some
> javascript, hopefully in a header or footer, and a few minutes later you
> can login to your account and start looking at traffic reports.
> Omniture has many sophisticated features one of which has the interest
> of Red Hat in response to your comment about Red Hat's needs relating to
> Fedora.  We have the capability with Omniture to do cross-domain path
> analysis.  That is, we can gain much deeper insight into the
> relationship between the two or more sites from tracking cross site
> browsing behavior.  We can track visitor paths across multiple sites
> including our international sites.  This extends beyond simple entry and
> exit page analysis.  The data is rich and the reporting interface
> powerful to the extent that it takes some time to explore all the
> different capabilities should the Fedora community wish to use Omniture
> for some of its own reporting.
>
> We have been asked by the JBoss folks to setup jboss.org and I am
> currently working with that group to outfit jboss.org.  It is almost a
> cut and paste task into a header template for basic tracking and you are
> welcome to sit in (with my management's approval of course) on that
> deployment and post deployment reporting.  The decision as to whether
> deploying a piece of javascript code on a fedora.org page supplied by
> Red Hat using a Red Hat funded hosting service like Omniture is in
> conflict with Fedora's core mission in my opinion clearly belongs to the
> Fedora community.
> Thanks,
>
> Jesse

Personally as a fedora project contributor I think this kind of
information for FEDORA.ORG might be interesting. I am not sure who owns
that domain but it sure would help us put a value on it just in case the
Fedora Project wants to buy it some day.

Hopefully you get my point.

--
73,

Robert 'Bob' Jensen