"Default" spin of Fedora

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Jun 11 20:38:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:24 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> > 1. Do we really want to highlight a "default" spin on the front page,
> > effectively hiding the others ?
> >
> I think it is *very* important to emphasize a default spin, not
> necessarily by hiding others, but to make sure casual Fedora users do
> not run away when confronted by a choice they're not ready to make.
>
> To quote a wikipedia article I skimmed today:
>
> |« The "Sculley Era" at Apple was characterized by market division and
> further subdivision, with a large number of models  [...] This strategy
> backfired, as it resulted in high [...] marketing costs, as well as
> market confusion. Buyers would look at similar machines in a store, each
> conceived for a particular market but usable elsewhere, and with
> comparable performance specifications, and become confused as to which
> product to buy. »

Nicolas,

This is a bit of a challenge, because it seems that the official line
for the target audience for Fedora is the "FOSS enthusiast", which might
limit how "casual" we would expect our users to actually be.  Paul
emphasized that this doesn't mean we expect someone to be a kernel
hacker, but I think the other extreme might also be excluded.

http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/16918.html?thread=47894#t47894

I hope I am understanding this wrong, though, because I very much would
like Fedora to be something that can make someone into a FOSS
enthusiastic by making it easy for them to try it without having much
prior experience.