"Default" spin of Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 11 21:19:40 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> > 1. Do we really want to highlight a "default" spin on the front page,
> > effectively hiding the others ?
>
> I think it is *very* important to emphasize a default spin, not
> necessarily by hiding others, but to make sure casual Fedora users do
> not run away when confronted by a choice they're not ready to make.

Uh, many people _do_ know they want KDE, hiding it from them will only make
them believe Fedora doesn't support KDE and go look elsewhere. Have you ever
read some of the comments at dot.kde.org on the Fedora-related articles? (The
point I raised with the Desktop Live spin not clearly being labeled "GNOME"
is a recurrent theme there. Making it the default one-click download and
hiding KDE behind an extra page would be a PR disaster.)

> To quote a wikipedia article I skimmed today:
> |« The "Sculley Era" at Apple was characterized by market division and
> further subdivision, with a large number of models  [...] This strategy
> backfired, as it resulted in high [...] marketing costs, as well as
> market confusion. Buyers would look at similar machines in a store, each
> conceived for a particular market but usable elsewhere, and with
> comparable performance specifications, and become confused as to which
> product to buy. »

The GNU/Linux world is not the Apple world, it is built around freedom of
choice.

        Kevin Kofler