Websites guide

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:46:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:59 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> == Fedora Account System ==
>
> Firstly, in order to make any changes you will need a Fedora account and
> to apply to and be sponsored for the web group. Visit
> http://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/home/ to sign up for a new
> account, or if you already have one to apply for the web group.
>
> To be given membership in the web groupp existing member will have to
> sponsor you. We're not likely to sponsor you if we don't know you, so
> send an introductory message to the list or visit us at #fedora-websites
> on freenode.irc.org. A really great way to get sponsored is to come with
> a patch ready-made, and you can do this by checking out a copy of
> Fedora's websites anonymously, which we'll cover next.

Perhaps this section (or some of it) should come before the
authenticated commit section.

> == Checking Out Fedora's Websites ==
>
> The Websites Team uses the git revision control system to store all our
> code, and it is stored on fedorahosted.org.
>
> To get a local git repository set-up, the first thing you'll need to do
> is install git:
>
> yum install git

git-core should be enough; git is a metapackage that pulls in things
such as git-svn that aren't needed here.

> Next, you'll want to check out a copy of the code. You can do this
> either annonymously or as a registered user once you have been sponsored
> in the web team and set up your ssh key.
>
> To check out the code anonymously use this command:
>
> git clone http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-web.git
>
> To do this using ssh use this command:
>
> git clone ssh://<fas-username>@git.fedorahosted.org/git-fedora-web.git

Authenticated commit, yadda yadda...

> Once this is done, you'll have a fedora-web folder containing all of the
> files that create Fedora's websites.

> If the change you want to make is to a common element on multiple
> pages,
> such as the header, footer or sidebar, then use the files in the
> template folder. You'll notice that the majority of the code is basic
> HTML, but there are a few strange pieces of markup. The most obvious
> is
> $Markup(_(' that proceeds any text string. Provided you preceed any
> text

"${Markup(_('"

> strings that require translation with this, and close these strings with
> '))} then you'll have no problems. If you'd like more information about
> this code, I'd suggest reading the Genshi documentation.

"the Genshi and Python documentation."

> If the change you want is to an individual page, then you'll need the
> files in the content folder. The same markup rules as above apply, and
> besides that you can edit these as you normally would. If you'd like to
> create a new page, I suggest using an existing file as a template and
> renaming it to the title of the page you want to create.
>
> == Reviewing Your Changes ==
>
> To see what your changes look like live, change to the fedoraproject.org
> root directory and run the make command. This will build the website
> from the template files. It can take the <lang> option, which will

"option (e.g., make en), which"

> create output only in the specified language rather than all the
> available options.
>
> The following dependencies are required for make to complete
> succesfully:
>
> Babel

"babel"

> python-babel

A dep of babel.

> python-feedparser

> Once you've done this, you'll need to put your git repository in a
> publically accessible place so that others can review your changes. Your
> fedorapeople.org space is perfect for this. The command below will make
> this work:
>
> scp -r fedora-web <fas-username>@fedorapeople.org

It's just a tad more involved than that. I recommend describing how to
move files to your FP space in a separate guide. I recommend abridging
this to "a publicly accessible web server.".

> Now, let people know about your repository on list or in IRC and ask
> them to review your changes for inclusion in the live branch.

Otherwise it looks fine. I didn't pick through the spelling mistakes;
<app of choice> usually underlines them in red anyways.