"Default" spin of Fedora

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 04:15:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 23:34 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Juan Camilo Prada <juankprada at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And I disagree... Even if fedora is not for newbies and as stated by
> > paul its for enthusiast, we dont have to make it harder for new users
> > who want to join us to get the media just to start knowing what fedora
> > is all about.... by providing an easy to use install media we can make
>
> I don't want to speak for Paul, but I believe that he _explicitly_
> said that enthusiast != any particular skill level. So yes, I agree
> with you - making Fedora more accessible by people new to Linux should
> be a priority. And the current get-fedora page is an epic failure of
> that, come to think of it. I've already commented this morning one of
> the ways.
>
> What I wasn't thinking of this morning was the dazzling array of
> choices I was presented with on that page. While to me, a very
> technical person, it looks friendly and well organized, I just tooks a
> step back to view it through the eyes of a non-geek. I'd venture to
> guess that non-technical users aren't going to know what Jigdo is, yet
> it's presented there with no explanation. Same, to a lesser extent,
> with BitTorrent. i386, x86_64, PowerPC? HELP! I'm drowning in options
> and don't know which one to choose!
>
> I also agree with Kevin that we don't want to push users to any
> specific spin, though that may be unavoidable for the sake of
> simplicity. I think that Paul had at one point a nice mockup of a
> get-fedora page that used JavaScript to guide the user through a
> "interview" process and present appropriate media for them to
> download. A choice of desktop either was or could easily be part of
> that process. Not sure what ever became of that, if anything.

That process was the first proposal Craig and I showed to the ml some
time ago with some fancy animations that hide some info as the user
progress through the workflow and only presenting the current "step".

This other and somehow new proposal at
http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/get-fedora aims at the same target
trying to provide the user with some simple instructions but without the
fancy animations, in order to get the media. The real difference between
this one and the old one is that now it only shows information about the
official spins (Desktop Live Media, KDE LiveCD and installation
DVD ...?...) while leaving other spins to be downloaded from their
coming spins.fedoraproject.org site. If you think it needs some
improvements please comment them here so we can discuss about it :)

--
Juan Camilo Prada <jprada at fedoraproject.org>