"Default" spin of Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 12 13:34:03 UTC 2008

Juan Camilo Prada wrote
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-June/msg00110.html):

> Take into a count we are not removing any option not hidding them...
> just not highlighting them in the front page. Also by providing many
> options a new user would get confused on where to start... by showing
> them "this is the simple way to try fedora" we will try to ensure that a
> new user will have a glad experience in the website in terms of them
> getting what they want which in this case would be "get fedora".

But I disagree that the GNOME-only "Desktop Live" spin is "the simple way to
try Fedora", they'll only try half of it (and in my heavily-biased opinion,
the wrong half ;-) ).

> If you know what Desktop environment you are looking for then you are
> certainly not a new user (probably new to fedora) but not to linux and
> so as you know what you are looking for you will be heading to the
> get-fedora section.

This is not a valid assumption. Just read some of the comments on dot.kde.org
about Fedora. Many people come to Fedora knowing very well they want KDE,
either because they come from another distribution they already used KDE on,
or because their friends recommend KDE to them. And they _already_ have
trouble finding KDE (because the GNOME spin isn't labeled "GNOME" anywhere
and because the DVD installer only offers KDE in the "Customize Packages"
selector which new users tend to skip), the proposed changes would make it
even harder! People will either think Fedora doesn't have KDE at all or
Fedora doesn't care about KDE. There are already enough complaints on
dot.kde.org that GNOME is given unfair preference treatment; putting the
GNOME spin on the front page and the KDE spin only on the secondary download
page will give those badmouthers a valid argument and completely ruin the
reputation of Fedora in the KDE community, which represents about half of the
GNU/Linux users!

I also think hiding the 64-bit image is a bad idea, the vast majority of new
computers is 64-bit-capable, the 32-bit version will have subpar performance
on those for no good reason. AFAIK the kernel on the 32-bit live images isn't
even PAE-enabled, so that also means no NX bit (bad for security) and only 3
GB of RAM usable.

        Kevin Kofler