"Default" spin of Fedora

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 12 14:10:27 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> The "Fedora Desktop" spin is GNOME.
>
> That's kinda the problem. ;-)

No, it's not a problem. If you have a problem with it,
fedora-websites-list is not the place to take the problem. I recommend
speaking with FESCO or the Board.

> Seriously, I think the naming also sucks, but it is not a good reason to make
> the bias even worse.

So I suppose we should also have the Fedora emacs spin and the Fedora VI
spin and the Fedora open office spin and the fedora koffice spin and the
fedora abi work and gnumeric spin and the fedora enlightenment spin and
the fedora reiser fs spin and the fedora ext spin and they should all be
equal because users need a choice!

I have not yet consumed enough coffee at this point to even consider the
combinatorics of the above.

>> Let's not confuse our users with holy wars.
>
> What you call holy wars, I call freedom of choice.

What you call freedom of choice, I call overwhelming potential users and
scaring them away with too many choices. If you ask someone on the
street which desktop environment prefer they will likely have no idea
what you are even talking about, and I doubt they would know to care
either way when going to download.

~m