"Default" spin of Fedora

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:56:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:47 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 June 2008, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >> The "Fedora Desktop" spin is GNOME.
> >
> > That's kinda the problem. ;-)
> >
> > Seriously, I think the naming also sucks, but it is not a good reason to make
> > the bias even worse.
> >
> >> Let's not confuse our users with holy wars.
> >
> > What you call holy wars, I call freedom of choice.
>
> I say live it alone Kevin. I don't see this as a battle we are going
> to win. All discussions to do with Fedora always implicitly leave out
> KDE.
>
> That's how its always been. I thought merging Extras and Core would be
> the end of that, but I was wrong.
>
> This is a lost cause, that probably only pisses people off.

Again... lets stop the discussion about KDE vs Gnome we are not going
anywhere with that... As long as the official desktop is Gnome i think
we should stick to it and not to a SPIN (no offense to KDE sig or any
KDE fan).

The decision to leave DVD media out of the equation is due to the fact
that it requires a lot more bandwidth to be downloaded in a considerable
time than a live media, and also not everybody is able to use a DVD in
their computer, it also has a lot more software than an average user
would probably need which seems like a waste of resources for a new user
to download such a big media just to end up using what the Desktop Live
media probably has.