Fedora Websites development help

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 13 02:06:58 UTC 2008

Wow, thanks for all of the resposes to Max's call for volunteers!

So here's a summary of what we're looking to do with the buildscript.

Right now, we have a general process for creating the website, but it's
not pretty.  Basically, we have a build script which goes through and
just runs each page through genshi.  Unfortunately, when we throw
translations into the mix, it gets a bit complicated.

Right now, we handle translations (and the language selector) through
some Apache + mod_negotiate magic (see the bottom of
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-web.git?p=fedora-web.git;a=blob;f=fedoraproject.org/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.in)
So one immediate problem here is that it's not easy for somebody to
make some changes and just scp them to their fedorapeople space (or
anywhere without some specialized apache configs present).  I have some
ideas for making this better (which would involve some modifications to
the buildscript).  Overall, the goal is to just make our process
friendlier and easier to get started with.

The other general issue that I'd like to discuss is what kind of
workflow we can establish for working with translators.  Right now,
we're just pushing English changes up immediately (which means that many
pages can be untranslated, or even partially translated).

Anyway, if anybody wants to take a look at some of these issues, you can
get the source of the website with:

git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-web.git

Feel free to ask any questions on-list (or we have an IRC channel,
#fedora-websites on irc.freenode.net).  We also have weekly meetings
(see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Meetings for the schedule).

Thanks,
Ricky