Introduction - Frank Chiulli

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 14:20:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 10:29 -0700, Frank Chiulli wrote:
> 2008/6/14 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:12 -0700, Frank Chiulli wrote:
> >> Put me to work,
> >
> > I'm just doing the welcome thing today, going to let someone with a
> > better grasp of what needs done. Although I bet [[Websites/Tasks]] is
> > populated on the wiki.
> >
> > Check out http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Meetings and see if you
> > can come this Monday.
> >
> > - Karsten
>
> Unfortunately my employer does not allow IRC at work.  I was using a
> web interface to get to Freenode until I started getting messages
> about cloning not being allowed.

Depending entirely on your employer and their awareness of the value of
Fedora contributions to the future of, for example, Red Hat products ...

I've wondered about people getting exceptions to the IRC rule.  I
totally understand the reason some employers/controllers block it.  That
decision falls down as soon as support from an open project is needed,
and IRC is the only way.  Rules are made to be excepted ...

In this case, you are not just seeking support but supplying it.  One
would hope an enlightened employer could be convinced.

FWIW, be aware even not-very-savvy employers can use Google to
interesting effect with these public archives. :/

> Anyone know of another alternative?

I definitely don't advocate breaking the rules of your employer.
Seeking an exception for a one hour meeting might be a good thing.

Also, many people do participate in Fedora without using IRC; you can
work on projects and send status reports via the list, for example.

Myself, I use irssi (text IRC client that runs in a shell) + screen,
accessed on a remote machine via ssh.  I don't run a local IRC client
very often, so I don't get to see how often it's blocked from the
networks I'm on.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41