"Default" spin of Fedora

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 02:27:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 11:13 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Gee, thanks. I'm biased because I think:
> >
> > 1) The desktop spin of Fedora is GNOME-based.
> > 2) The default desktop of Fedora is GNOME.
> > 3) The most popular download of Fedora is the x86 Desktop Spin (which,
> > from #1, happens to be GNOME-based)
> > 4) There are far more maintainers of GNOME involved in Fedora than KDE.
> > 5) A beginner choosing the Fedora desktop environment with more
> > maintainers and support seems likely to have a better experience than a
> > beginner that chooses the desktop with less maintainers and support.
> > 6) Overwhelming new users with multiple permutations of Fedora to
> > download is probably a bad idea from a usability perspective.
> > 7) The get Fedora page has traditionally been too complicated because it
> > is so cluttered and the websites team have received many complaints to
> > this effect.
>
> You forgot:
> 8) The large majority of our existing documentation and manuals [1]
> refers to the GNOME desktop.
>
> [1] - for example http://docs.fedoraproject.org/desktop-user-guide/

To be fair, that is the first version of the User Guide, and as with
many new efforts in code or content, it covered one area (GNOME) well,
and didn't others.  Mainly this was due to resources; we focused on the
default desktop first.

Subsequently, the KDE SIG has been very helpful in producing and vetting
the User Guide KDE-specific content.  Xfce is welcome, as well.  This is
where the SIG model works well -- someone interested in a particular
area of the distro (e.g. KDE) can focus on docs just for that.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Guide/9

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41