new front page with one-click download - a review

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 03:28:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 19:44 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> Juan asked for some specific replies about his latest proposal:
>
> http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/
>
> I had some comments buried in an earlier reply, but I'll redo from
> scratch.  The page looks great, so naturally I have to talk about really
> small stuff, like 2 pixels. :D
>
> * More source for feeds
>   - I do like the idea of pulling in the first ... 25 words(?) of the
> feed
>
> * "Ready to use operating system"    /* do not capitalize 'operating */
>                                      /* system'                      */
>
> * "Use it, modify it, and distribute it"  /* use a comma before the
>                                           /* final conjunction (and) */
>                                           /* in a serial list        */
>
> * "Latest free software technology"  /* 'Free Software' is not a     */
>                                      /* proper noun in English.      */
>
> * The icon next to "Download Fedora!" looks to my eye as if it needs to
> move two pixels to the left.  It actually looks as if that line is
> right-justified or centered.  If you reduce the font size to
> super-small, it moves farther right.
>
> * The area with the explanation that, "Fedora is a Linux-based operating
> system ..." bleeds far over to the right gutter.  I don't know where we
> are on fixed-width v. flexible, but this is in between and ... doesn't
> quite work like that.  My preference for this layout would be to have it
> stop on the right side at the same place as the right-edge of the feeds
> column.

I was thinking about removing that section and actually replace the
Spins column with the Fedora overview paragraph (some changes in the
order of the columns would be required) so we would end up with just the
big banner and three columns which hopefully will avoid the fixed-width
vs flexible issue.

--
Juan Camilo Prada <jprada at fedoraproject.org>