feedback on http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:02:29 UTC 2008

> Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
>

> > If you want i could work on in tomorrow, although i would like to know
> > what you people have planned for the re design so i can get as clos as
> > possible to the desired design
>
> Refer
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/NewGetFedora

Right, I started working on that shortly after FUDCon IIRC but got
sidetracked (go figure).  It may need a few more decision points and
answers without getting too bogged down.  (For instance, someone who's
running an IBM zSeries probably knows their architecture... do we really
need to include that on the list?)

The general idea, as I explained to Toshio and some others at FUDCon, is
to make the design follow these constraints:

0.  Allow experts to bail into a typical technobabble list of choices.
Don't bog them down.

1.  For everyone else, follow a "choose your own adventure" workflow.

2.  Avoid all jargon and present questions anyone can answer.

3.  The choices should continue to use the same screen real estate.  Do
not link to new pages if possible, just use JavaScript or something
similar to reuse the same part of the page for additional questions.

4.  Help on BitTorrent should include links for Windows, Mac, and Linux
to the simplest effective BT software in a way that doesn't navigate
users away from the Get Fedora site.

5.  Ask for a user's spin preference.  The top choice is "I'm not sure,
choose for me," which results in the default Desktop Live or Install
image.