Feedback gathered for fedoraproject.org and get.fedoraproject.org

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Jul 11 02:39:35 UTC 2009

Wow. This is fantastic, Mark - thanks to you and Hiemanshu for taking
the time to go out and get a ton of data! Comments inline.

>> User 4
>>  - fedora main site
>>  -- "I've been able to find everything I need on the websites."

I wonder how experienced this user was. :)

>> User 5
>>  - fedora main site
>>  -- posibly more of a note that its based on the comercial Red Hat distro

...hm, that's a thought, if somewhat backwards - if anything, RHEL is
based on Fedora, not the other way around (as I understand it, anyway) -
not sure how the current way of showing the Fedora <--> Red Hat
connection was chosen (it's currently in a tiny little sponsorship-note
footer at the bottom of http://fedoraproject.org/) but I'm sure there's
a good reason for it.

>> User 6
>>  - fedora main site
>>  -- if I'm new to linux and need help, do I click docs, wiki, get help, or what?

+infinity

>>  - get.fp.o
>>  -- and it lacks consistancy
>>  -- if you have several options, display them in a consistent manner
>>  -->that page has a couple different options in the middle, other
>> options in a different style on the right (well, i think they are
>> different) and then other, alternat eoptions at the bottom
>>  -->could it not list all the options in one consistant list,
>> explaining what each is, with the different download options?

Man, this person gives good, concrete feedback.

>>  - fedora main site
>>  -- and it should probably have a better link text
>>  -- I mean, imagine reading it; Get Fedora 11 Desktop Edition Now
>> INSTALLABLE LIVE CD!

YES

>>  -- one last thing; the layout breaks on a small viewport (4-500px wide)
>>  -- should have some minimal width limiter
>>  -- http://w-wins.com/images/brokenlayout.png

Great point - do we have any heuristics that we're evaluating our sites
against, any standard tests we run for sanity? (Making sure it works on
a certain list of screen sizes, a certain set of browsers, that kind of
thing?)

>> -- if i didn't know what fedora is i wouldn't immediately know what it was

This is *incredibly* important.

>> -- most people who visit your site won't want a tour.  They want a
>> download link.

Really? I wonder if there is a good way we can empirically prove this.

--Mel